Recently I stumbled across some new adoption and foster care resources that I thought would be good to share with you, and there are also some older ones I’ve had around for ages that I love, so here’s my list 🙂 Some of these are true stories of families involved in adoption or foster care, some are practical guides to navigating tough waters, some are books that played a huge role in molding my view of adoption and foster care through God’s eyes and some are books meant to prepare your heart for the realities and help you discern God’s will for you in this area.
If you are considering adoption or foster care, supporting a friend or family member with adoption or foster care or are simply curious…dive in! You will be blessed, inspired and better equipped on the other side…guaranteed!
1. Choosing to See – Mary Beth Chapman
2. The Connected Child – Karyn Purvis
3. The Promise: The Story of an Adoptive Mother and a Support Worker – Christen Shepherd and Lisa Highfield
4. Overextended – Lisa Harper
5. Attaching in Adoption – Deborah D. Gray
6. Parenting the Hurt Child – Gregory C. Keck and Regina M. Kupecky
7. Adopting the Hurt Child – Gregory C. Keck and Regina M. Kupecky
8. Another Place at the Table – Kathy Harrison
9. One Small Boat – Kathy Harrison
10. Successful Adoption: A Christian Family’s Guide to Adoption – Natalie Nichols Gillespie
11. Wait No More – John & Kelly Rosati
12. Thriving as an Adoptive Family – Focus on the Family
13. Radical – David Platt
14. Crazy Love – Francis Chan
15. Ready or Not – Pam Parish
Last, but the most powerful of all…your Bible.
If you have questions about adoption or foster care, are confused about God’s leading in this area of your life or are trying to better support others…the answers are all here. Ask Him to reveal His heart and His perspective to you. Ask Him for wisdom. Ask Him for clear direction. This is God’s work and no one is better equipped to teach you than Him. All you need to do is be brave enough to ask.